Aston Rowant has a Parish Council of seven members and a Parish Clerk. The Council meets in the Village Hall on the second Wednesdays of every month except August at 745 pm.
There is a Parish Annual Assembly every year in April where the Parish Council and local organisations report to the community and the parishioners can raise issues and discuss them in open forum.
The monthly Parish Council meetings are open to the public, generally informal, and include an ‘open forum’ when members of the public can, and usually do, bring matters of interest to the attention of the council. The District councillor generally attends, and the county councillor and the local PCSO sometimes attend.
Agenda for the meetings are posted on the parish notice boards and this website at least three days before the meetings.
The responsibilities of the council are varied and include:
• Looking after the parish council properties, e.g. grass cutting, insurance, etc. The properties are the Village Hall, playing fields and the children’s play area. There are management committee’s for each of these which and look after each facility for the Parish Council.
• Liaising with the county council on highway safety and repair.
• Liaising with the county council on public transport matters affecting the parish.
• Liaising with the county council on the state of footpaths and other rights of way, which is dealt with by our footpath committee, made up of councillors and interested parishioners.
• Maintaining this website for the benefit of village organisations such as the Village Hall, Play area, allotments and Parish Notes
• The parish council is consulted on all planning applications within the parish, and on major planning applications in neighbouring parishes. The parish council is also consulted on tree orders within the conservation area
• Making grants to village organisations from council funds.
• Liaising with the police on matters of concern within the parish
• Litter picking and provision and maintenance of dog bins.
• Monitoring drainage and ditches throughout the parish and actioning as and when necessary.
• Making environmental improvements as and when thought appropriate.
• Providing an excellent Walks booklet for use in the parish.
• Supporting financially as necessary our Parish Notes publication.
The council income comes mainly from the district council and the current Aston Rowant precept is £17500 pa as of 2013/2014. The council also receives income from sales of our Walks booklet, interest on our cash balances, grants and fund raising by the Play area management committee.